Re: Drew Stubbs
No offense intended, but some folks need to get a grip.
Stubbs hasn't lit the league on fire on his first 20 games, but he hasn't been terrible either.
Yes his 230 BA is anemic, but to borrow a quote from 'Bull Durham', if he got one more Texas leaguer or ground ball with eyes per week (4 hits) he'd be batting 284 and no one would be asking what is wrong with him. Aside from his low BA (and K's if those hurt your feelings), Stubbs has for the most part been solid.
1. He's playing a gold-glove caliber CF
2. He's putting up an outstanding BB rate and secondary averages
3. He's getting on base at a very solid 356 clip
4. He leads the Pioneer league in SB (11) and has only been caught once
5. He is 2nd in the Pioneer league in triples
Right now, he looks like a young Mike Cameron ... great speed and defense, developing power, solid OBP, lots of K's and a mediocre BA. Mike Cameron was one of the best combinations of offense/defense at the CF position in MLB from 1999-2003. I would have no problem if Stubbs turned into a carbon copy of Mike Cameron in his prime.
Last edited by Steve4192; 07-16-2006 at 12:14 PM.