1. does anyone know if the Padres have said if they are going to keep Cameron ( team option )? I think he would look good at GABP in CF ( for the right price ). He still plays good defense and has power & speed.
2. targets for the Reds as part of a 1b platoon if Aurillia gets too expensive:
Phil Nevin, Craig Wilson, Eduardo Perez
3. targets for 2b/ss if Freel stays in the OF:
Luis Castillo (Team Option), Mark Lorretta, Ray Durham,
Ronnie Belliard, Craig Counsell, Julio Lugo $$, Jose Valentin
All in all an unexciting list.
4. targets for CF if Freel goes to 2b. ( Note: I like Deno but I don't see Deno & Griffey playing 162 games each. I'd rather have Griffey in RF, a new CF & use Deno as the 4th OF. )
Jim Edmonds (Team Option), Mike Cameron (Team Option),
Juan Pierre :thumbdown , Kenny Lofton ( as part of a platoon ),
Gary Matthews Jr., Jay Payton, Milton Bradley,
Aaron Rowand (Player + Team Options) (arb.),
Dave Roberts, J.D. Drew (Player Void Option)
All in all a much more interesting list. Freel to 2b & signing a free agent CF seems better than Freel in CF and signing a free agent 2b/SS.
5. Targets for a #3 starter:
, Joe Mays :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown ,
Tony Armas Jr, Jason Schmidt $$$, Jeff Suppan,
Mike Mussina (Team Option), Jaret Wright (Team + Player Void options),
Vicente Padilla, Adam Eaton,
Ted Lilly ( fly ball pitcher ), Tom Glavine ( is he really a free agent ? ),
Andy Pettitte, Mark Mulder, Barry Zito $$$,
Doug Davis, Randy Wolf, Mark Buerhle (Team Option)
Daisuke Matsuzaka $$$
Some interesting names but I suspect free agent pitchers will be overpaid again.
6. targets for a closer:
Justin Speier , Scott Schoenweis , Joe Borowski ,
LaTroy Hawkins, David Weathers, Chris Reitsma
Mariano Rivera (Team Option I am sure will be picked up )
Keith Foulke (Mutual + Player Option)
Dustin Hermanson (Team option)
Eric Gagne (Team Option + Player Void Option)
Another uninspired list.