Originally Posted by George Foster
If we trade him and pay half of his salary they would take a chance. All he has is one year on his contract. That would free up another 5 million for us.
Maybe, but he's coming off surgery and you'll get nothing for him. I am in the minority, but if he proves he is healthy
and you pay half his salary, I think teams will want
him next year as opposed to taking him off our hands now. I think a better plan would be keep him with the thought of trading him in June or July.
- Teams will be looking for starters and won't have free agents to turn to. (Remember teams were turning to Jose Lima, Joe Mays, etc. last year)
- He'll have time to prove he's healthy.
- Since so many fewer starters will be on the market, his value will be higher.
- He will have bought time for Bailey in AAA.
- No Salary will be eaten and still half is off the books.
- Since you know your going to do this going in, you only count half his salary anyway as far as the budget goes.
- Because pitchers will be scarce in July, you'll get a decent prospect for him. The Reds gave Germano for Ryan Franklin and Ward for Kyle Lohse. You'd get some one similar or better for Milton. For all the bashing he takes, Milton is better than Franklin and about the same as Lohse (but older and less upside.)
I trade Lohse now and Milton in June or July.