FYI, I just looked up Gonzalez's defensive win shares for the last three seasons just to get an idea how yet another defensive system ranks him.
In 3,405.1 innings from 2004-2006, Gonzalez has 19.6 fielding win shares. Convert that into a rate stat, and we see that Gonzalez has 5.76 fielding win shares per 1,000 defensive innings at shortstop. Bill James created a fielding win shares scale at each position and assigned players letter grades based on their fielding win shares per 1,000 innings. Here's the shortstop fielding win shares letter grade scale:
- A Level = 5.80+ win shares per 1,000 innings
- B Level = 5.00-5.79 win shares per 1,000 innings
- C Level = 4.20-4.99 win shares per 1,000 innings
- D Level = 3.40-4.21 win shares per 1,000 innings
- F Level = Under 3.4 win shares per 1,000 innings
Based on fielding win shares, Gonzalez is just under the A level, or would probably be ranked as an A- defensive shortstop. For comparison purposes, Davey Concepcion was ranked as an A+, and Barry Larkin was ranked as an A.