Originally Posted by RedsManRick
Good post Red Leader. If I can summarize your take on WK's plan:
(not in any order of importance)
1.) Don't block prospects with inferior major leaguers signed long term.
2.) Keep the team as competitive as possible in the short term with low risk veterans filling out the roster.
3.) Continue to improve the overall talent level of the minor league system.
To me, that still leaves a number of questions:
- Is there a next phase which includes significant FA signings?
- At what point do we transition to that phase?
- Does Jr. slide over to RF?
- Where are Arroyo, Harang, and Dunn in 2009?
- Will the payroll expand as the talent level at the major league level expands?
I get the feeling that WK can keep us above 70 wins while he restocks the minor leagues. My concern is that he may not be bold enough to convert that prospect core in to a 90+ game winner. His ability to supplement the existing roster with the correct pieces still concerns me.
Another question: does he plan on getting far more aggressive in acquiring high-end minor league talent? How?