Originally Posted by Kc61
There are a few open spots on the bench and bullpen. Wonder how it works out.
1. Deno v. Crosby. Not sure either will make the team if Hamilton stays, but assume that the Reds do want a backup outfielder who can play CF well. I am sure Redszone would vote for Denorfia hands down, and I probably agree. But Crosby hits lefty (better partner for Freel, a righty), has more experience, also at one time (not recently) hit for a high average in AAA.
2. Keppinger v. Bellhorn. Again, not sure Reds will keep two backup infielders since Freel can always play inf in emergency. (Castro is presumably a lock.) If two, Bellhorn much more experienced, more power. Keppinger seems more like Krivsky's type. Low strikeout guy. Throw Jerry Gil into the mix, perhaps, as well.
3. Moeller v. ? Does Moeller's value defensively (with Valentin primarily a pinch hitter) mean that Reds keep 3 catchers again and drop a different bench player? Could mean that all four of the above will be sent out.
4. Hamilton v. ? If Hamilton has even a half-way decent spring, he stays. Somebody else loses a slot because of it, unless there is a trade for Hamilton's rights. In that case he can go to AAA for awhile.
5. Salmon v. Ligtenberg v. Burton v. Meadows v. Shack. Assume that Bray, Coffey, Weathers, Stanton, Cormier, Belisle make the team in the pen. That leaves one bullpen spot. Majewski gets it if healthy. Big if. So one slot could be open. Could it be one of these five? Or somebody new from the outside? Or do the Reds keep EZ for the extra spot, to pitch long relief?
1) Deno. No contest.
2) Most likely neither will make a difference.
3) If Moeller makes the team we're in worse shape than I thought.
4) Looking forward to see how he does. Wily Mo Part Deux??
5) Cormier needs to be traded while Shack fills his spot as the left specialist. Hopefully, Ligtenberg pitches well this spring b/c he has some nice upside with good experience.
"....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421
- Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.