Re: 2007 Draft Wishlist
Here are my college pitcher heavy wishes.
With 15th pick...
1. Beau Mills- LCSC (3B)
2. Matt Dominguez - HS (3B)
3. Casey Weathers - Vandy (RHP)
I am biased in favor of Mills in part because I like Lewiston, Idaho, where he plays his college ball. He also has a lot of pop in his bat.
With 34th pick...
1. James Simmons - UC-Riverside (RHP)
2. Nick Schmidt - Arkansas (LHP)
3. Jake Arrieta - TCU (RHP)
I want at least a college starter among the first three Reds picks.
With 53rd pick...
1. Wes Roemer - UC-Fullerton (RHP)
2. James Adkins -Tennessee (LHP)
3. Joe Savery - Rice (Utility)
I am projecting Savery as a starting pitcher.
With 80th pick...
1. Brian Friday - Rice (SS)
2. Sean Doolittle - Virginia (LHP)
3. Duke Welker - Arkansas (RHP)
4. David Newmann - Texas A&M (LHP)
With 110th pick...
1. Kellen Kulbacki - James Madison (OF)
2. Eric Sogard - Arizona State (2B)
2. Charlie Furbush - LSU (LHP)
Furbush was a huge disappointment this season relative to reputation. Maybe he will put it back together again as a pro.
I haven't seen enough of the high school players to really tout any of them. I have no objections to HS picks early in a draft because usually those guys have obvious projectable talent (Bruce, Bailey). However, I can already envision the Reds taking a HS athlete (Lewis from a few years ago, Reed last year) in the first four or five rounds who will end up as a huge bust. I prefer the polish and maturity of college kids,