Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22
With the recent signing (physical pending of course) of Fransisco Cordero WK and Bob have successfully proven to the majority of fans (mainly just us redzoners
) that they are willing to do what is necessary to put a team on the field that is capable of winning... My question is what do you do next?
My plan of attack
1) To give err uhhh "trade" Mike Stanton and Gary Majewski to whoever decides they will give us either a PTBNL or cash considerations...
2) Find out what teams KGJ is willing to play for and package a deal. We need Jay Bruce roaming RF in 2007. I would trade Griff for another quality bullpen arm and an above average SS prospect (does anyone really think Janish is going to be a SS anytime soon for the Redlegs)
3) Find a way to get any of the following or, someone in their tier; Erik Bedard, Scott Kazmir, Joe Blanton, Jon Lester, Clay Bucholtz, Matt Garza, Ian Snell, Kevin Slowey etc etc... If I am going to make this sort of deal I can trade any of our big 4 (assuming not both Hamilton and Jay Bruce in the same package...)
4) Find out exactly how much Adam Dunn will want to sign an extension and plead with Bob Castellini to let me make it happen. (I believe it was reported we only spend 43% or so of revenues on team salary... there is room for more IMO)
What is everyone elses plans and what do you guys think we will do next????
1) I doubt anyone will take Stanton, and Majewski is too young and cheap to give up on. But in terms of Stanton, one can dream.
2) KGjr is not going anywhere. He will veto any trade. Period. He had made that very clear. Otherwise, he would be the best lefthanded hitter to trade.
3) Yes, if the Reds can get Erik Bedard, Scott Kazmir, or Clay Bucholtz for Bruce or Hamilton + others, do it. The other pitchers you named do not merit either player, but possibly Votto + others.
4. Absolutely. KGjr will probably retire after 2009 if not 2008, so the Reds will a big bat like Dunn for those years and further.
I would sign a few FA pitchers coming off injuries to incentive loaded contracts. If one of them is able to come through, The Reds would be a the fav of the NLC title.