Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22
Tell me exactly what the Reds are going to do in 2010 when:
1) They realize at least 1 of the Homer/Cueto combo is topping out as a #4/5 type SP
2) Harang/Arroyo need to be resigned
3) They are paying around 13 mil a year for a 37 year old closer
4) Are forced to pay real $$ to EE and Phillips
5) Joey Votto fails to set the world on fire and is only an average major league 1B
6) Hamilton or Bruce do not reach their lofty "projections"
For the Reds to compete in the perceived window of 2009-2011 almost everything will have to go right for us for the first time since the BRM and we will have to increase payroll by a huge amount.
However with the current position players we have control over we have a 2-3 year window that is only a TOR SP and a RH bat away.
Sometimes you have to go for it. I admit it is a HUGE gamble either way you look at it.
I would prefer we trade a package around Bruce for Kazmir/Bedard and make a smaller move for a RH slugger. Go for it. I'm tired of the constant pseudo rebuild bs that we are constantly going through
What is any team going to do in 2011? How is Boston going to replace manny, will they resign Beckett, what happens when Bucholz goes stupid and steals some more stuff, what if ellsbury flops
It all can be said about every MLB team.