Re: June 12th Minor League Game Updates
Before today's game, some numbers to note:
* 22-year-old (23 in the middle of August) SS Chris Valaika is hitting .294 after a rough start in AA. His AA OPS is up to 815 as well and his overall numbers may be the most impressive of any in the Red system. (330/375/525/900) He may be the second coming of Jeff Keppinger as a SS, but he's certainly become an intruiging option as early as September.
* CF Shaun Cumberland (24 on 8/1) has slumped to a 291 BA after a huge start, but his OBP is still excellent (389) and his pop (8 HR, 2 3B, & 7 2B) isn't all that bad. (He's leading the AA Chattanooga team in OPS for the season.) If he's a plus glove, he's another really nice suprise on the season and an option for a spot in CF assuming Junior, Dunn, or both aren't here next season. Another plus: 27 BB, 28 K.
* Will the real Daniel Perales stand up? In roughly the same number of at-bats in both low A Dayton and High A Sarasota, Perales has added almost 200 OPS points to the bottom line. It is a small sample size, though.
* Top Five OPS hitters in the Cincinnati pipeline?
1. Frazier (929 overall) [High A]
2. Valaika (900 overall) [AA]
3. Cumberland (873) [AA]
4. Tonys Gutierrez (858) [AA]
5. Daniel Dorn (842) [AA]
Not much pop or patience in the pipeline, IMO.