Originally Posted by redsmetz
I could very well be wrong, but I'm not sure Alonso was eligible for Arizona's league. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.
He could play, but the number of low level players are restricted, and they may want someone else there. Here are the rules:
The eligibility rules to play in the AFL are simple.
The roster size is 30 players per team.
Each Major League organization is required to provide six players subject to
the following requirements:
* All Triple-A and Double-A players are eligible, provided the players are
on at least a Double-A level roster no later than Aug. 1.
* One player below the Double-A level is allowed per Major League team.
* One foreign player is allowed, as long as the player does not reside in a
country that participates in winter ball, as part of the Caribbean Confederation
or the Australian winter league.
* No players with more than one year of credited Major League service as of
August 31 are eligible, except a team may select one player picked in the most
recently concluded Major League Rule 5 Draft.
* To be eligible, players on Minor League disabled lists must be activated
at least 45 days before the conclusion of their respective seasons.
Looking at the Hawaiian Baseball website, they have no eligibility requirements listed other than players must be a member of an MLB, Japanese or Korean organization.