Some thoughts to summarize tonight's surprising victory by UK:
ESPN PBP Announcer Mark Jones is not merely a tool--he is a box of tools.
- Called UK CB Trevard Lindley "Lindsey" (x 3 times)
- Called UK Defensive Coordinator Steve Brown "Greg"
- Called ECU's punter "Masthay"
- Called UK DE Myron Pryor "Marion"
- Called UK LB Micah Johnson a "Defensive Lineman"
- When UK QB Hartline threw his first (and only) INT, Jones remarked that it was his 2nd INT on the night
- When UK attempted their first extra point, it was blocked by ECU--yet, Jones indicated that it was UK's second failed attempt (In actuality, it was ECU who also had their first PAT blocked).
Those were just the slip-ups that I caught. Overall, he is a snore and seemed completely unprepared for the matchup. Instead of mentioning things like, say, that Hartline was struggling with the flu and taking fluids throughout the game--he kept going on and on about the importance of 'momentum.' It was almost like he just heard of the concept and could not wait to share it with everybody.
Big 10 officials mailed it in tonight
- UK LB Micah Johnson should have been nailed for a blatant pass interference in the 4th quarter
- The end Referee let two separate ECU kick returners go down to their knees on the 1 yard line. The game was tied in both instances and neither player was more than 10-15 feet away.
- In the second half alone, there were 4 different times when they allowed the keeper to mismanage the game clock. Only twice was it corrected by the replay booth.
All told, it was a pretty exciting bowl game. Once UK remembered how to tackle in the second half, it was nice to see them dominate the skill positions with some 3rd string defenders. Once ECU got behind late, the D-line got to pin their ears back and make life miserable for Pickney (who is a nice QB IMO). Too bad Jenkins knocked his molars back through his neck on that stiffarm!
Congrats to the Big Blue...