I'm gettin paper
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Re: ESPN's Battle of the Budgets
Round 3 is up.... Bruce still not taken. I would think that Jared Burton might go at some point soon as well.
41. Rob Neyer selects Ubaldo Jimenez (P, Colorado Rockies, $450,800)
42. Buster Olney selects Jose Reyes (SS, New York Mets, $5,750,000)
Steve Phillips: I like it. Did I ever mention that I was GM when he signed?
43. Steve Phillips selects Hong-Chih Kuo (P, Los Angeles Dodgers, $450,800)
Buster Olney: I was either going to take Kuo or Reyes with my pick … But I was worried that Jayson was going to use that available cash to nab the best shortstop left on the board.
Jayson Stark: Buster you turkey!!!!! I was going to take Reyes with my next pick, but whatever …
44. Jayson Stark selects Jonathan Broxton (P, Los Angeles Dodgers, $1,825,000)
45. Jayson Stark selects Matt Thornton (P, Chicago White Sox, $1,325,000)
46. Steve Phillips selects J.P. Howell (P, Tampa Bay Rays, $457,010)
47. Buster Olney selects Rafael Perez (P, Cleveland Indians, $467,705)
Steve Phillips: For those of us with obsessive personality disorder this draft process is killing me. I wanted to make all 25 of my picks in 15 minutes. It's affecting my judgement.
Jayson Stark: So that's your story and you're sticking to it?
Buster Olney: I think I have the same disorder.
Steve Phillips: I am crazed just sitting here, foaming at the mouth.
Steve Phillips: My wife can't wait for this draft to be over. I'm killing her explaining my next picks. She thinks I am a lunatic. I am a lunatic … This is so much fun.
Jayson Stark: Want to go ahead and draft Rob Stratton again, just for nostalgia's sake? Go ahead. We won't stop you.
Steve Phillips: Ha! That's a blast from the past.
Jayson Stark: I don't know about you, Steve, but my wife didn't need this draft to decide I was a lunatic. I've been laying out that body of work for years now.
Steve Phillips: It's actually bringing back memories from Mets days for her.
Rob Neyer: Great. The run on cheap power relievers right before it comes around to me again. Beautiful …
48. Rob Neyer selects Frank Francisco (P, Texas Rangers, $1,600,000)
49. Rob Neyer selects Francisco Liriano (P, Minnesota Twins, $471,500)
Steve Phillips: I was going to take him. Good pick.
50. Buster Olney selects Mike Fontenot (2B, Chicago Cubs, $445,500)
Steve Phillips: I was going to take him, too.
51. Steve Phillips selects Jacoby Ellsbury (OF, Boston Red Sox, $446,000)
52. Jayson Stark selects Curtis Granderson (OF, Detroit Tigers, $3,500,000)
Buster Olney: I had hoped to snag Curtis down the road, but … oh, well. Any team that has Curtis officially has the smartest team in the league.
Jayson Stark: Which of you guys wouldn't want to come cover my team now, huh? If you can't wring a decent quote or sound bite out of Curtis Granderson, Josh Hamilton and Cole Hamels, you're in the wrong business.
Steve Phillips: I had my sights set on Curtis a bit later, too. I took Ellsbury to protect my wait.
53. Jayson Stark selects Jesse Carlson (P, Toronto Blue Jays, $429,000)
54. Steve Phillips selects Mike Aviles (2B, Kansas City Royals, $400,000)
Jayson Stark: Great pick … for a team with no money to spend.
Buster Olney: If you hadn't taken Aviles, then I would have.
55. Buster Olney selects Kevin Youkilis (1B, Boston Red Sox, $6,000,000)
Steve Phillips: I had you pegged for Prince Fielder, but I love Youk, too.
Buster Olney: I was worried that Rob might jump up and snake Youk, so that was a good Plan B.
Jayson Stark: I like all our teams.
Buster Olney: [Padres GM Kevin] Towers' reaction to this draft -- "Of course you can get a great team … Why wouldn't you?!!!"
Jayson Stark: Wait … Does that mean he doesn't think we're all geniuses?
Steve Phillips: I don't care what he thinks … you guys are geniuses in my book.
Jayson Stark: Now we're talking. Let's have Steve review the rest of our picks. The heck with what Kevin thinks.
56. Rob Neyer selects Manny Delcarmen (P, Boston Red Sox, $484,150)
57. Rob Neyer selects Takashi Saito (P, Boston Red Sox, $1,500,000)
58. Buster Olney selects Skip Schumaker (OF, St. Louis Cardinals, $455,400)
Steve Phillips: What the heck, might as well go for it. Don't worry, I did the math and I have enough money left …
59. Steve Phillips selects Jonathan Papelbon (P, Boston Red Sox, $6,250,000)
Buster Olney: The salary-cap police are staring you in the eye, pal. I guess that means Steve won't be getting A-Rod.
Steve Phillips: No that will be when we have $200 million to spend. We need those teams, too.
Buster Olney: Is it a felony or a misdemeanor if you go over the salary cap? If convicted, will Steve have his right to voting taken from him, or will he just be forced to vote for a Democrat?
Steve Phillips: I will serve hard time before I vote for a Democrat. Although they are fond of bailouts and I may need one.
Commissioner: Immediate felony. No trial, no appeal.
Steve Phillips: I have it all mapped out. Don't worry. I wasn't going to leave money in the budget.
60. Jayson Stark selects Brandon Webb (P, Arizona Diamondbacks, $6,500,000)
Steve Phillips: Good pick. If I had gotten Saito I would have taken Webb.