Re: Reds looking for right handed bat
Originally Posted by bucksfan2
Couple of thoughts.
- If the Reds acquirer an Wiggington, Willingham, etc. that won't help out much. They aren't much better than what is in house already.
- Bruce is the RF of now and in the future. I can see giving him a day off from time to time but I don't agree with getting a platoon player for him. He needs to learn how to hit LH pitching and the only way to do so is get as many reps as possible.
- If the Reds are able to acquirer Holliday (or another legit offensive player) the need at SS isn't as pressing. They could play Janish or Gonzo when healthy and bat them 8th.
- If we are counting on Edwin to come back and provide a big impact we are going to be sorely disappointed. His bat will be nice and will definatly improve the offensive output from 3b, but it isn't enough to give his team a much needed offensive boost.
- Lugo at the league minimum is growing on me. He may not be a good defender but his offensive may help. It especially would help if Edwin doesn't cut it at third. He could be the ideal lead off hitter in the Reds lineup.
I don't think anybody is expecting Edwin to be anythiing that he hasn't been in his career. EE, Hairston, and Rosales (the 3 players who have gotten nearly all the ABs at 3B) have OPS'd .701, .561, and .476 respectively. If Edwin can just OPS .800 the rest of the year it would be a huge upgrade.
"The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman