Originally Posted by REDREAD
but it's a myth that Dusty played Patterson out of stupidity. His hand was pretty much forced.
I'll take rewriting history to suit my agenda for $100 Alex.
* Before the season Dusty bragged that he could lure players to Cincy. Patterson played for Dusty in Chicago. Do you really think Dusty had no input whatsoever in Wayne's efforts to bring him to town? Too much of a coincidence for a reasonable person to ignore.
* Do you really think that at Spring training Dusty didn't make any recommendations on which players started in Louisville and which in Cincinnati? Really? He just meekly sits in the corner and Wayne bossed him around?
* Once the season started who make's out the lineup? Are you wanting us to believe that Dusty doesn't and some other person does? Who? The guy in section 518? What unknown forces inked Patterson into the leadoff spot for the months of April, May and June?
* Later in the season, why did we continue to see Patterson in CF and Dickerson in LF? Was a law passed in Congress that forced poor ole Dusty to play Patterson in CF? He could have just as easily reversed them to give Dickerson more time at a position he was likely to play in 2009. I mean, call me silly, but actually evaluating a player likely to be around in the future seems to make sense. Or something.
* Who sends out the pinch hitters? Doesn't The Dusty have some shred of input in those decisions? Or do you want us to believe he meekly sits at the top of the stairs adjusting his sweatbands while someone else sent Patterson out the second most times of the entire team. Did he not have any other bench options for pinch hitting?
Sorry Redread, thinking that Dusty was forced to use Patterson just doesn't stand the scrutiny of reason and facts.