Re: In house only
Well if we are talking in house only areas of need I rate them as:
5) Bench depth
1) LF- we simply must offer Gomes arb! He performed great this year and if he is used correctly I see him putting up similiar numbers in 10. The question is who is that other guy to platoon with him? I am not sold on Dickerson, and do not want to enter without a viable partner.
2) C- Hanigan had a solid year behind the plate, but he simply is not a run producer, he is best used as a #2, we have no one in the system to platoon with him, so I offer Ramon Hernandez a lower deal to return.
3) 5th Starter- until Edinson returns we must look for a guy to eat @ 150 innings 20-24 starts. We have some guys in the system capable Maloney, Owings, Wood, but they may be best used in long relief roles and in Woods case is he ready? I say its Maloney's to lose.
4) SS- alot of teams dont have that true slugger at SS, but if Janish is used as a #8 hitter and plays superior defense than I'm ok here, but we need to have 1 of Valaika/ Cozart ready to contribute as a bench guy.
5) Bench- I like that in 09 we got a good look at some AAA guys, and liked what I saw out of Stubbs,and Francisco, but we are void of offensive production after those 2! Rosales, Sutton, McD, Tatum are all career AAA guys and an upgrade is needed here.
My 2010 Reds are:
OF-Bruce, Stubbs, GOMES, Taveras, Balentien
I really dont see any in house canidates ready for the 2b/ss/3b backup or the 1b/of backup job to start in 2010!