10-17-2009, 06:19 PM
RZ Chamber of Commerce
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Antonio
Re: Bryan Price named Pitching coach
Reds name Bryan Price pitching coach
10/17/2009 3:23 PM ET
The Cincinnati Reds have named Bryan Price pitching coach for manager Dusty Baker's Major League coaching staff.
Price, 47, spent the last 10 seasons as a pitching coach in the Major Leagues. He held that position with the Arizona Diamondbacks from 2006 until he resigned on May 8 of this season after manager Bob Melvin was replaced by A.J. Hinch. Before joining the D'Backs he spent 6 seasons as pitching coach for the Seattle Mariners, including the 2003 and 2004 campaigns when the club was managed by Melvin.
"We're very excited to be able to hire someone with Bryan's background and history of success," said Reds President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Walt Jocketty.
Price was named Major League Coach of the Year by Baseball America in 2007 after his Diamondbacks staff posted a 4.13 ERA, fourth-best in the National League, on the way to an appearance in the NL Championship Series. His 2008 starting staff led the majors with 95 quality starts, ranked second in the league with 65 wins and ranked fourth with a 3.95 ERA, Arizona's lowest team ERA since 2003.
In 2001 while with the Mariners, Price earned USA Today Baseball Weekly's Pitching Coach of the Year Award after leading that staff to the American League ERA title with a 3.54 mark, an improvement of almost a run per game from the previous season.
Before joining Seattle's Major League staff, Price was a pitching coach in the Mariners' minor league system from 1989-97 before serving as the organization's pitching coordinator in 1998 and 1999. Before he began his coaching career, he pitched for 5 seasons in the Angels' and Mariners' minor league systems.
Price graduated in 1980 from Tamalpais High School in Mill Valley, California, where he was All-State as a senior, then went on to earn 4 varsity letters playing for the University of California at Berkeley. He is featured in the book Guiding Lights under the chapter "life changing teachers and mentors."
Bryan Price's Coaching Career
* 1989-1990 - Pitching Coach, Arizona League Mariners
* 1991 - Pitching Coach, Peninsula Pilots (Carolina League)
* 1992 -Pitching Coach, Bellingham Mariners (Northwest League)
* 1993 - Pitching Coach, Riverside Red Wave (California League)
* 1994 - Pitching Coach, Bellingham Mariners (Northwest League)
* 1995 - Pitching Coach, Everett Aquasox (Northwest League)
* 1996 - Pitching Coach, Port City Roosters (Southern League)
* 1997 - Pitching Coach, Memphis Chicks (Southern League)
* 1998-1999 - Minor League Pitching Coordinator, Seattle Mariners
* 2000-2005 - Pitching Coach, Seattle Mariners
* 2006-2009 - Pitching Coach, Arizona Diamondbacks