Originally Posted by mth123
I keep hearing this about Rolen, but looking back here is what I see:
1. Wear out the welcome in Philly - force a trade.
2. Pout and feud publicly with the Manager in St. Louis - force a trade.
3. Whine about being homesick in Toronto - force a trade.
Rolen brings great defense at 3B with a competent (but no longer game changing) bat. Maybe his leadership is great as well but other than hearing people repeat it all the time the evidence suggests that he has a selfish darkside. If this was about leadership, there were plenty of choices that didn't cost the team its top pitching prospect and eat up the rest of its payflex. I hope Rolen can stay on the field because his offense and defense combo helps the team and the cost was tremendous.
1. Its Philly. They booed Santa Clause. If the Phillies are bad it is a miserable place to be.
2. He had a pretty darn good run in StL. I don't fault him for having a fued with LaRussa. I think his time in StL had come to an end.
3. Seriously its Canada. They have 10 months of winter in Canada. But in all reality wouldn't you want out of Toronto when you have a pretty good ball club but continue to finish 4th in the division?
I don't fault the Rolen trade at all. I like him as a ball player and think he can be a good clubhouse player. Heck anything is better than the E5 over at 3b. Maybe there was culture change that needed to happen with the Reds. Maybe Rolen brings that to the table. All I know from watching him is that he always knows the situation and what to do if the ball is hit to him. Say what you want about his bat or his back for that matter. Rolen is a solid ball player who will make the Reds better.