Originally Posted by Redsnake
Stubbs not starting in CF? Stubbs was the hottest hitter in the last 2 weeks coming out of spring training.
Dickerson/Gomes to platoon in LF...so play Nix?? What?? This is the same guy that most expected to not make the team.
Lincoln's the first option out of the pen. I get it, long relief, but Lincoln 7.20ERA and a .346BAA against the Cards is the first choice??
Arroyo's ERA in night games are better than day games. So skip his start Wednesday night and let him start the day game Thursday? REALLY? REALLY!?!
I really wanted to wipe the slate clean with Dusty this year. Maybe it's Jocketty wanting not to waste Lincoln's $2+mil in the minors or give Nix on last chance to show why he should stay before he could be DFA for Leake. Whatever it is I don't think I have ever been more frustrated after the first game, EVER! Hell, I loved the game even if they lost.
1. I would have started Stubbs, he had been on fire,not that I put much into spring training numbers but I would have started him. One game is not the end of the world but I get the angst over this move.
2. Pretty much same issue as number 1, should have been Stubbs and Dickerson playing.
3. This is the spot where bad middle relievers pitch. It was the sixth inning and your team is losing. That is when you pitch a guy like Lincoln. Biggest issue is why is he on the team and that is a Walt thing.
4. Totally disagree. The slotting of the pitchers is not about setting up matchups for a single series. It is about putting guys in place that makes the most sense for your team for an entire season. They are trying to separate the veteran innings eater guys and separate the young guys who are most similar to help with the bullpen. This makes perfect sense to me. I think Dusty has done so many questionable things that he is criticized for perfectly rational decisions.
5. The biggest issue from yesterdays game is Nick Masset. Was this a one game blow up or is he the latest in a line of relievers who have one good season and then stink. Obviously, it is foolish to make any judgemets based upon one game but if I were so foolish this is the one thing about yesterdays game that Reds fans should actually be concerned about. If Masset struggles this season, there bullpen looks totally different and we could be back to the eighth inning problems that looked to be solved by Jared Burton a couple of years ago.