Re: Zach Stewart's progress
Walt Jocketty said the Blue Jays refused to trade Scott Rolen unless the deal involved Zach Stewart. He said he did what he could to not trade Stewart, but as the deadline neared, the Blue Jays refused to budge, so the Reds were forced to give him up to get the guy they wanted. There was also a verbal agreement that an extension with Rolen would be worked out if he were obtained by the Reds, so it's not like the Reds traded one of their top prospects for a rental.
Has it dawned on anyone that Stewart might be very overrated as a prospect?
1. Walt Jocketty is known for selling high on prospects and leaving it up to other organizations to find out that said prospects aren't worthy of the hype.
2. Stewart has a WHIP of 1.324. It's solid, but it's nowhere near elite. In fact, it's Sam LeCure territory.
3. There's a decent chance he will prove to be injury prone.
4. I realize that he's starting for Toronto's AA team, but he's probably going to end up a reliever anyway. He has a mid-90s fastball and a devastating slider, but what else does he have that's worth mentioning?
5. The higher he climbs up in the minors, the more he walks people. For example, he has walked 19 batters in his last 35 innings.
I don't miss EE, I don't miss Roenicke, and I'd rather have Rolen over Stewart. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.