Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp
I've decided to look at it like this (after being miserable for about a week):
The Reds have given people plenty to be miserable about for 9-10 years now. There are three weeks left in the season, and I think it's advisable to focus on what is likely to happen (which in this case is good) than dwell on what is unlikely to happen. Statistically speaking, the Reds have about a 98% chance of getting to the playoffs. I don't see a point in getting caught up over the 2% chance they don't.
I'm not saying it's over or that the Cardinals can't come back, but that's not a good baseball team chasing Cincinnati right now and they've shown no ability to sustain the type of winning streak it's going to take just to get them in contention. Even if the Reds don't play excellent baseball, they can put this thing away.
After 10 years of miserable feelings, it's time to get excited. If something happens in the next three weeks and they don't make it, there will be a time to worry about that. But right now, it's close enough to see, touch, smell, sense, hear and feel. I'm letting the senses guide the way.
The reality is this: They are likely to get to the playoffs at this point. We should be happy about that. We also know that they are a somewhat flawed team with future promise. Right now they (and we) are playing with house money. If they are to get knocked out in the first round, this is only year 1 of a potential multi-year run of contention. If they are to win some October games, then friggin awesome.
But let's not let unrealistic expectations get in the way of enjoying what this is. Look at the big picture. These guys are getting exposure to postseason type baseball while proving to themselves that they can do this. At worst, this season will go a long way towards getting these guys to the next level.