Originally Posted by Sea Ray
A few issues with that:
1) If moderation takes that tact it empowers folks who don't like what's being said to take the issue political with the intention of getting it shut down. That's a lot easier than researching facts to counter said opinion
2) If you lock every provocative thread, then all you're left with are threads like "Wonder or Plastic Woman" or dating advice.
3) The Peanut Gallery is less open to varying political opinions than RZ. My experience is that if they don't like your political opinions they will ban you rather than counter it. Having said that, I don't think that site should affect how RZ is moderated. I do not think moderators should take Peanut Gallery into consideration one way or another, I'm just sayin'...
1) If a user continually drives threads that he/she doesn't like into the political realm, the user will tally up a large number of infractions and bans in short order. This is not any course of action that I would anticipate happening.
2) To be honest, I'm fine with that. I have zero interest in reading threads about the current state of the economy or the nuclear repercussions of the Tohoku earthquake/tsunamis. While I may also have little interest in reading threads about "Wonder vs Plastic Woman," these threads don't require large amounts of moderation like the economy, tsunami, sex scandal, and circumcision threads did/do.
3) I was under the impression that the offsite boards were sparsely moderated and welcomed all kinds of discussion. I feel that if the users who have political interests moved the political discussions there, then the exact same discussion can occur without requiring a lot of the moderators' time and energy. As these boards are a part of Redszone, I feel that they are and should be a part of this discussion.