As of May 16 Chris Heisey has 57 ABs. Joey Votto has 139, Stubbs has 156, Bruce has 144, Phillips has 142, Gomes has 113. I prorated Heisey's numbers and gave him 135 ABs to see how he would compare with the regular starters.
Given 135 ABS at Heisey's present rate, he would be 1st in HR and RBI, 2nd in SB, and 3rd in runs (the other numbers are below as well).
Home Runs: 9 (First: One more than Bruce)
Runs 28 (Third: Behind Stubbs and Votto)
RBI 36 (First: 11 more than Brandon Phillips who is second)
SB: 5 (Tied for second)
AVG: .263 (Sixth among regular starters)
OBP: .338 (eighth among regular starters
OPS: .847 (4th among regular starters behind Votto, Phillips, and Votto)
Here are some thoughts:
1. The RBI numbers could be skewed because pinch-hitters come in most often with people on base.
2. Really some of the numbers are impressive because when he pinch hits the other team usually has one of their best pitchers in.
3. If Heisey is a great pinch-hitter than give him a chance to play on a regular basis - has Gomes shown he deserves it.
4. I am convinced that the numbers are not Dusty's playing the match-up game that he says he plays.
5. Considering that he would be top three in every power category, he should be given an extended period of time to show what he can do. Aren't we looking for a LFer.