Re: Official 2011 Draft Day 2 Thread
After having a night to digest everything, my take on this draft is as follows:
1. If 2 of Stephenson, Rosa, Wright and Garret achieve their upside, this draft is a success.
2. Why do Buckley & co. love college relievers so much? Four of the top 10 picks either were or project to bullpen arms. IMO that's not how a small market team like the Reds unlock value through the draft.
3. It will be very interesting to see whether they can sign Garrett, Romano, Serrano and Phillips. I like drafting HS players after the top 10 rounds because I believe there is so much more upside/value. Those are frequently guys that will be first and second round picks 2-3 years from now. It's great to get them playing in your system earlier, especially if the opportunity cost is organizational filler.
4. Cole Green was a good ninth round pick. He could easily be another Sam LeCure at least.
5. Here are some ceiling comps I came up with off the top of my head:
Robert Stephenson - Homer Bailey or Matt Garza
Gabriel Rosa - Corey Hart with the ceiling of Carlos Beltran
Anthony Cingrani - somewhere between Matt Anderson (actual career not potential) and David Aardsma
Ryan Wright - Chris Valaika/Todd Frazier with the ceiling of Mark DeRosa or Todd Walker
Cole Green - Sam LeCure
Amir Garrett - Aroldis Chapman (2010/2011 Chapman not projected future Chapman)
Last edited by Benihana; 06-08-2011 at 09:40 AM.