1. What to do with David Dewitt Bailey? He breaks down quite often. How do you get value for the guy? It appears to be that you make him a closer. Closing allows him to pitch a limited number of innings and more importantly defines for him a role that is more suited to his intellect.
I like him a lot. I love his stuff. But if he can't stay healthy they're going to end up dealing him. He's used up about all of his 9 lives in a Reds uniform and it's a shame because I think he's capable of so much. The scouts and Reds front office have to know this which is why he's gotten so much patience from them. But he's on his last legs as a Red if he doesn't swim they'll cut bait I believe.
2. Anyone feel Bruce is about 10-15 punds heavier than he was last year? Maybe it's my tv.
I've heard others say this too. I think he looks the same though.
3. Limitations of WAR. 40-45 balls that flew in Jay Bruce's area last year -have headed toward Fred Lewis this year. Surely, things will even out, but at this pont, it looks like Bruce has lost 5 steps (he hasn't) and Fred Lewis has become Carl Crawford (he hasn't). It's just one of those early season sample size flukes, but i bet it impacts how Bruce is perceived by many.
This is why WAR is so flawed and OPS don't lie.
4. Why does Heisy have trouble hitting lefties? He has a slight hitch in his swing which allows him to time a righties slider, but also impacts his ability to get out in front of a lefties inside fastball.
Think about how many at-bats it takes a big league hitter to mature against LHP. Think about Bruce for instance. Heisey needs to play every day if we're ever going to see what we have in him. I would judge him after 800 PA's at the earliest--if he gets that here.
5. If the umps are not gonna allow Phillips to cheat off the bag when he turns the DP- they need to also enforce guys sliding and not coming within 3 feet of that same bag.
6. Edgar Rentaria has terrible footwork. Twice a game he stops moving his feet and has to make up for it with his hands. These are the short cuts old guys make when they can't get moving. Only problem is -his lack of quality footwork turns into 2 potential misplays a game. He looks OLD. Btw, is he really his stated age?
I go back and forth on a nightly basis on who I like more, Janish or Renteria. I think this is because neither is very good. It's like a QB debate with two flawed signal callers. Reminds me of Derek Anderson vs. Brady Quinn. They both bring slight advantages to the table with a number of glaring weaknesses. The truth is, there is no complete right answer. The answer lies elsewhere. In our case, it's a guy who will be available in July or Cozart.
7. Good comp for Drew Stubbs is Chet Lemon.
I think Drew Stubbs is an absolute ballplayer. The more I see of him the more convinced I am. I love the guy. He looks like a ballplayer. He talks like a ballplayer. He moves like a ballplayer. I'd like him better hitting 5th or 6th behind Bruce, but that's it.
2009 Attendance Record: 3-5
2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
2011 Attendance Record: 3-4
2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
2013 Attendance Record: 5-2