Reds Top Prospects - August 2011 Edition
I was hoping to have a modified list due to deadline deals, but instead Alonso, Frazier, and Cozart have all been promoted to the major leagues and hence off of this list. Mesoraco and Francisco should be joining them soon enough. Without further ado:
GRADE A (Top 25 Prospect and Future All-Star Potential)
1. Devin Mesoraco – Best catching prospect in the game. Should be up to stay by Sept 1.
GRADE B (In the range for Top 100 Prospects and Future Starter/Above-Average Player)
2. Yasmani Grandal – Top 5 catching prospect in the game.
3. Dave Sappelt – Future Chris Heisey: very strong 4th OF at a minimum.
4. Daniel Corcino – “Little Johnny Cueto” has struggled recently, all part of growing pains. Still remains the best pitching prospect in the system.
5. Robert Stephenson – Once he signs, he could be “Little Homer Bailey”
GRADE C (Should make the majors in some form, could likely be a starter)
6. Neftali Soto – Biggest jump on the list. Best power prospect in the system. Think Juan Francisco with less defensive versatility but better plate discipline.
7. Ronald Torreyes – All he does is perform, although his size is still the biggest knock.
8. Billy Hamilton – Great speed and athleticism, but will it translate as he moves up?
9. Juan Duran – Second best power prospect in the system, but like most power hitters, needs to cut down on K’s. Future move to 1B likely.
10. Yorman Rodriguez – Tools still far outweigh his performance and alleged attitude.
11. Juan Francisco – Will he ever reach his potential or will he be Wily Mo Jr.? Injuries haven’t helped him this year.
12. Brad Boxberger – This low only because he’s a bullpen arm. Should get a look in ST next year.
ON THE RADAR
KEEP AN EYE ON (Too early to tell)