Originally Posted by dabvu2498
1. Rich Brooks was 91-109-4 as a head coach before coming to UK.
2. If the program was "headed in the right direction" why are the Junior and Senior classes at UK so devoid of talent?
WMR and cumberland summed up no 2, but Rich Brooks inherited a team not much better than the Kentucky team he took over, long before the days of Phil Knight. Oregon State was actually the superior school at the time and Brooks was able to turn it around, handing it off to Mike Belotti.
For the record, I've said I'd be happy with Mike Leach coming to Kentucky (was offensive coordinator under Hal Mumme before leaving for Oklahoma). Another coach I would throw into the ring is Rich Rodriguez:
1. Exciting style of offense that would attract recruits, plus one that I think would win in the SEC.
2. Was in over his head at Michigan. The expectations would be a lot less at Kentucky and I think Rodriguez would be happy working in the shadow of Calipari.
3. Not too far away from any family he hasn't alienated in West Virginia.
If that doesn't work, then Gus Malzahn.