After reading all these posts, I have come to these conclusions:
1. John Allen isn't the bad guy in this. Actually he is the one taking the hit for what everyone has been saying about Larkin the past three years....his time has gone by.
2. If this is such a public relations nightmare, how would you handle it especially when you're captain refuses to retire (when he knows he can't play everyday) and another bloated contract to Larkin would hinder this ballclub next season?
3. Would you have been happy if Barry Larkin was making 1.5 to 2 million next season while just playing in an utility role?
4. Since Larkin signed that extension, the Reds haven't won a thing. With his declining performance in that time span, the club has had no financial room to improve other areas of the ballclub. As much as an icon Larkin is, who is more important....Larkin or the Reds?
5. Finally, with Larkin not coming back next season, could Junior and his salary be next on the hit list? It is obvious the Reds want to give the new GM a clean slate. Moving Junior would be another step in that direction.
If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.