Re: Big10 makes Big Mistake (IMO)
I can almost understand some of the Big Ten's thinking:
1) As it stands right now, the SEC would definitely host 1 if not 2 of the home games (which does not help the Big Ten at all since they get a cut of the Rose Bowl check)
2) BCS bowl money is split in the conference. Is tOSU going to share gate money from the 'Shoe with Michigan or Purdue? Probably not. So, the other schools would lose out.
3) The tradition of the Rose Bowl....
But, I don't believe any of those arguments.
1) The Big Ten already plays its bowl games in the south and west, how is that a huge change?
2) Does anyone really worry about Northwestern getting its cut of the Rose Bowl money?
3) The last relevant TRUE Rose Bowl was the 1998 Michigan win for the National Title. After that game, the Rose Bowl was an exhibition. Before that game, the Rose Bowl often held the National Champion. I don't count when the BCS title game is played in the Rose Bowl a week after the actual game.
Variatio delectat - Cicero