Originally Posted by pedro
True, but life is full of risks whatever you do. TMBS, the fact that they want him to decide without even allowing him to come visit is kind of odd IMO.
True, but one should attempt to minimize risk whenever possible. If it was local and he could live with his parent then there wouldn't be much fear of them slow ball paying him (or a corrupt owner taking off after stealing a bunch of money as happened here locally) Worst case he gets some teaching experience, without all the pay. If he had an uncle or sister or friend he could lean on in the Fort Meyers area for a couple of months as he attempts to figure out how reliable this place is.
If it was a city owned school, I'd say go for it. Since its a charter school (and I have no problems with charter schools per say, just that there is more risk for their employees unless its a well established school), not to mention they won't meet with him prior to employeement scares the beejesus out of me.
Mainly, if you do take the job, which could end up being the greatest decision you ever make (who knows), please don't committ yourself to too much financially that you don't have to. If you can rent by the month, even if you have to pay a little more, it may well be worth it for the first couple of months. If you can find a 2nd weekend job to help fill in the hours and perhaps balance out some of the uncertainity, go for it.
I'm just trying to make him aware, that there are far worst things that could happen than just "not liking the job"