Re: Cueto Diagnosed w/ "Mild Oblique Strain"
Some previous abdominal strains and recovery period:
1. Austin Jackson - missed about 3 weeks this season
2. Jose Altuve - left game against Reds on Sept 7, 2012 with "left lower abdominal strain" and returned Sept 11.
3. Angel Pagan - missed only 2 games in June this year with abdominal strain
4. Matt Moore (Pitcher) - missed about a week in spring training this year with a mild abdominal strain
5. Chipper Jones - injured in WBC on March 15, 2009 and returned in time for Opening Day on April 5, although he had been playing through pain in his side for a week.
What all this means is anyone's guess, especially since most of these guys are hitters and aren't providing the same torque as Cueto. It sounds like recovery time is highly variable and mostly depends on the pain experienced by the player.
My guess would be they drop Cueto for Leake and hope for a return in the WS. I think that's the best-case scenario.
Votto for MVP