Originally Posted by mth123
It really needs to come from CF. The easiest to acquire would be a platoon guy who can share time with Stubbs until Hamilton is ready for his shot. None should require any of the Reds' starting pitchers, core relievers or major position players. Chris Heisey, Jose Arredondo, Kyle Lotzkar, H-Rod, Ryan Lamarre, Neftali Soto, Logan Ondrusek, Alfredo Simon, Pedro Villareal and other spare parts would be my trade bait. I'd try to hold on to Didi, but he could go in the right deal.
1. Gerardo Parra
2. David Dejesus
3. Brett Gardner if the Yankees are giving him away to make room for a "name" (Josh Hamilton? Ichiro?).
4. Angel Pagan is probably out of the Reds' price range now.
5. Coco Crisp but they need to take Masset to even the money a bit.
6. Denard Span but he'd probably require more talent than I'd pay and doesn't really improve the team against RHP much.
7. Shane Victorino if the price drops to a reasonable deal similar to the one the Reds gave Ludwick last year.
8. Wil Venable if they think 80 to 100 starts in CF is doable with his defensive ability.
Given what I'd be willing to pay, I'd guess Dejesus is the most realistic target, but there are enough of these guys out there (behind the bigger CF prizes like Hamilton and Bourn) that the Reds should not need to wreck the pitching staff to upgrade CF against RHP. The bar is so low, even a flawed, marginal player could provide meaningful improvement IMO.
I think Victorino will sign with the Reds. Not my choice, but I'm guessing he's the Red's choice.
Reds may value defense too much to go with DeJesus, who is increasingly becoming a corner outfielder.
With Hamilton on the way up, I don't think the Reds will trade very much for a young CFer. Nor do I think they will spend a lot of cash on CF.
Victorino is at the stage in his career where he shouldn't command too much money. He didn't have a good year last season.
Again, he's not my choice. I prefer someone who is a better left handed hitter. But with Hamilton on the way, I'd guess it's Shane.