Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here
Well, if I had my crazy way, I'd fix the two problems with the Reds by extreme measures.
1. Legit cleanup hitter to protect Votto. Someone with a good batting average, OBP, and reasonable power.
2. The 1 and 2 holes in the lineup. I'd add high OBP guys with decent speed at both positions. And most likely this would be LF and CF.
3. I'd can Stubbs however I could.
4. I'd let Ludwick walk.
My crazy solutions:
1. Trade with the Mets for David Wright and his .306 average, .391 OBP, 21 HR's, 93 rbi. He's a feared hitter and a solid third baseman. I know it would cost alot of money and alot in trade, but it would solidify 3B (he's 29 years old) for years to come and the help the Reds get maximum value out of Votto for the length of his contract. With Votto (LH) batting third, Wright (RH) fourth, and Bruce (LH) batting 5th, it maintains Dusty's lefty, righty, lefty need.
2. I'd trade for either Span (.357 career OBP), Fowler (.364 OBP), or sign Pagan (.333 career OBP) to play CF.
CF Fowler (SH) or Span (LH) or Pagan (SH)
2B Phillips (RH)
1B Votto (LH)
3B Wright (RH)
RF Bruce (LH)
LF Frazier (RH)
C Hanigan (RH)
SS Cozart (RH)
If Hamilton makes it to the big leagues, then so be it. Maybe he plays LF and bats lower in the order until he proves himself. Or maybe you move him to leadoff, Span to 2nd in the lineup, and move everyone down one in the order, Votto - cleanup, Wright 5th, etc. Or maybe Phillips drops behind Bruce in the lineup batting 6th and Hamilton and Span or Fowler are in the first 2 spots.
Either way, it's a nice problem to have.
"I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.
"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread
Last edited by Vottomatic; 10-31-2012 at 08:58 AM.