Originally Posted by kaldaniels
1) Why didn't you get paid for the Sept ex-dividend day?
2) Am I correct that you have been buying 3 shares a month, if so, what is the exact amount you have invested each month, fees included.
3) It is very wise to bundle purchases (I would almost argue for bundling more than 3 months worth). You are getting killed paying 5 dollars for each 100 dollar transaction.
4) MAIN has a 6% yield right now, which is awesome. But generally when a dividend is that high, it comes with risk. Otherwise, money would be flying into the stock.
1. Although this was our "August money" we didn't get set up till Sep 18th, just missing the ex-dividend date. So this month we'll have 6 shares for the Oct 17th ex-dividend date dividend. And 9 for next months.
2. We put $100 in each month but couldn't buy $100, between the cash in the account and the shares we are down by basically the commission. But this is about building a continuously growing dividend stream, not worrying in the short term about whether we are up or down. Long term, it will be up.
Since we are just getting started and wanted to establish a increasing flow of dividends, I did a couple things differently starting out. One is paying a commission each time, which I'll stop doing this month. And in the future I may go beyond 3 months.
3. One of the other things I did starting out was pick a stock that paid monthly and had a nice return. That limited my choices, but I am VERY comfortable with the risk involved with MAIN.