Re: Ludwick Contract Offer
I can see where paying Ludwick some extra accomplishes a lot for the Reds. If you can get all these things for one player on a short deal, what's not to like:
1) Cleanup hitter & RHB that hits RHP pretty well
2) Retain all your starting pitching
3) Retain all your prospects
4) Leadoff is settled with Phillips > then Hamilton
5) Good clubhouse guy. Keeps the band together.
6) Probably still below market rate
7) Platoon-able guy, so won't dry up the bench guys (Heisey, Paul, hopefully Fellhauer)
I can see a slight overpay. Especially with the way the Nats, Phils, Braves and Cards are loaded with pitching. Makes you less willy nilly with your strong staff. Ludwick keeps things pinned down in a lot of ways and moves the org forward with its own. I still want a leadoff CF though, yet the market is pretty extreme there.