I remember like yesterday watching this game at a neighbors house. Watching this was a nice way to spend a slow Friday afternoon.
1) The opening credits with the Van Halen "Jump" theme brought back memories.
2) Anyone who thinks umpiring today is worse now than it has ever been needs to watch this video. The HP ump got it right by reversing the call but taking a half hour to listen to the Cubs gripe was insane. The whole dispute should have lasted no more than five minutes. The fact the umpiring crew let the dispute go on so long only fueled tempers and made things worse.
3)Zimmer, Frey and Bowa all should have been tossed during the scuffle. Steve Ripley should have had the stones to toss Soto when he bumped him.
4) It was nice hearing Harry Carey do a game again but as long as he has been around baseball he should have know you cannot protest a judgement call.
5) Did Carey really think Zimmer was trying to stop Soto from hurting the umpires? Harry had to be drunk. Zimmer wanted a piece of Soto IMO.
6) Both the Cubs and Reds filed protests. I can see how the Cubs would file one to satisfy their fans when they know there is no way they will win, but what could the Reds have been protesting? Was Vern Rapp that clueless?
7) Bob Engle who was the crew chief and the one I point the finger at for causing this debacle was eventually fired for stealing baseball cards from a Target. http://articles.latimes.com/1990-04-...baseball-cards
8) Had Reds Zone been around in 84' the game thread would have went into the thousands.