Re: Manti Te'o didn't really have a dead girlfriend
Okay so I haven't followed that that closely, and I don't know if I have the facts right, but this is what I think I know.
- The girlfriend never existed
- He did interviews (or they aired?) about her after he ultimately found out
- Notre Dame allowed the BCS Championship Game pregame interview to go on while they knew
- Several people knew she wasn't real and it was a running joke among them and their friends
- Te'o and his father both said he had met her in person, which we know to be untrue
- 3 years in a relationship without any proof that the person was even real
- His fake girlfriend who he was in love with was in a serious car accident with injuries, got cancer, got a promising diagnosis, went back to the hospital, then ultimately died and he never once went to see her
I dunno. I know that people are into online flings and relationships, but understanding that this is still impossible for me to believe. Nobody can possibly be this big of a sucker, and even if he was, it doesn't explain him embellishing the story after finding out it was a hoax.
At this point it can't get any worse for him. He's already a punchline, but he should at least learn a little something from Lance Armstrong. Out of sight is out of mind. Come clean and give people the truth, eventually another story will come along and people will stop caring about his.