Originally Posted by bucksfan2
I don't really blame the Bengals from missing on UC talent. It happens and its not exactly like UC is a hidden program with a few hidden gems. It does appear like the Eagles like the Bearcats quite a bit huh?
As for the draft I think what will be telling is what happens to Michael Johnson, Andre Smith, and Rey Maualuga. I think Smith must be retained. The NFL is an offensive league and I think Smith is an above average RT. I would like to have Johnson back, on an extension, not a franchise. Maualuga I don't exactly want back but I don't know what the Bengals think. The TE's are becoming an important part of the passing game and Maualuga doesn't defend the TE's well at all.
If you assume Johnson and Smith are back then the need goes directly to LB, S, RB, WR. If Johnson/Smith aren't retained then you have to put RT and DE in the mix. I like how the Bengals have been able to stockpile defensive lineman and want to see that continue.
I wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals try to trade down in this draft. With 3 picks in the first two rounds they have flexibility, you can use that flexibility to set yourself up for drafts to come, a la the Pats.
1. Extend Michael Johnson
2. Franchise Andre Smith (I like him playing year-to-year the best, but we can't afford to lose him)
3. Sign FA WR or RB (Amendola or R.Bush would be my top picks)
4. Draft LB/SS in Round 1 (Ogletree or Vaccaro would be my top picks)
5. Draft whichever RB/WR you don't sign in FA at pick 38
6. Draft whichever LB/SS you don't in the first round at pick 53
7. Go BPA to add depth all over the field after the second round
8. Cut Maulauga
9. Let B.Scott, Leonard, Geathers, Clements, and Newman go, but bring back Pacman and Thomas Howard.
Also wouldn't mind extending Geno Atkins and/or AJ Green. Would NOT extend Dalton or Gresham- they need to improve and prove themselves next year.