After reading everyone's opinions via message board, league thread and email I have decided how to implement the NA roster.
We are going to be conservative and ease our way into using the NA roster feature. In our league we have a history of avoiding big changes in favor of making subtle, gradual changes. For that reason, we will start with only 2 NA slots this season. I realize some of you want to go straight to the full 5 NA slots, but since we already had our draft and this new roster option was only made available after we had already made our plans it seems best that we start off slow with 2 slots now and ramp it up to 5 slots next year. I considered putting it up to a vote but thought better of it. I think 5 slots would win the vote, but the guys who want 2 slots seem more passionate.
So here is the plan:
- We will have a two-round supplemental draft starting at Noon on Wednesday March 27th. It will work the same as our yearly slow draft with 10 hour timers per pick. The draft order will be the reverse of last year's standings to give the rebuilding teams a little extra boost.
- All Adds/Drops are prohibited before the draft. Do not pick up any players off the Free Agent list starting now!
- I will enable the NA roster now. You can start transferring players to prepare for the supplemental draft. Again, do not add any players to your team until it is your turn to draft.
- Any player with an NA label can be put on the NA roster even if they are not minor leaguers. Of course doing so would mean you can carry one less prospect than everybody else.
- You can still keep minor leaguers on your normal roster. Many teams will want to keep more prospects in addition to the ones on their NA roster.
- During this supplemental draft you can select either NA-eligible players or major league players if you have opened a roster spot by transferring another player who was already on your roster to the NA roster.
Since everyone will have two fresh NA roster slots we will not need to drop a player to make your supplemental draft pick. (see exception below)
One important consideration, if you draft a minor league player for your NA roster you will need to first add him to your normal roster before transferring him to the NA roster. If you do not have an open normal roster slot you won't be able to pick up the drafted player without dropping someone first. You can drop the player without losing him. In this situation make sure to state in the message when you post your pick that the player you dropped needs to go back on your team. I will then take the player off waivers and add him back to your team.
2013 Supplemental Draft Order:
1.6 Captain Hook
1.8 Vada Pinson Fan
1.9 Atomic Dumpling
1.12 Plus Plus
2.6 Captain Hook
2.8 Vada Pinson Fan
2.9 Atomic Dumpling
2.12 Plus Plus
Thatcoolguy_22 can go ahead and post his pick whenever he is ready, but the 10-hour timers won't start until Noon Wednesday.
Remember we are now back in draft mode, so do not add any players to your team unless it is your turn to draft!