Re: Left Field
I'm not too sure what I think about Heisey at this point. I think he was over-matched yesterday in some big situations, but I also believe that he was put in a tough situation being forced to bat cleanup due to an injury.
Something that I was thinking at the game yesterday when he was at-bat with the bases loaded, what would people have said about him laying down a bunt in that situation? I thought about it for a few reasons:
1. He had tried it earlier in the game, and while the bunt wasn't far from the catcher he STILL almost beat it out.
2. The 3rd baseman was on the dirt preparing for a double play, and it still would've been relatively surprising.
3. Heisey is a pretty adept bunter (at least it's always seemed that way).
4. You had decent speed at 3rd base in X. Paul.
5. The team had hardly made ANY hard contact at all for the entire game.
It was an idea that I thought would have been clever in that situation, but I'm sure it would've been hugely second-guessed if it didn't work. What would everyone have thought about such a play?