Originally Posted by 757690
If the Padres traded Denorfia, he would be replaced by Cameron Maybin. I don't think anyone would notice, nor care.
The Reds did suffer a big injury and should be willing to pay about what Denorfia would get at the trade deadline right now. No team is going to ever offer more than some C level prospects for Denorfia. He's Chris Denorfia.
First, Maybin is the CF. Denorfia and Wil Venable split RF when everyone is healthy.
Let's say the offer of Guillon and Ryan Lamarre would be enough at the deadline. If the Padres know they can get that at the deadline, why would they deal him sooner unless some team offers more?
The team dealing for Denorfia would appear to need him more than the Padres would need to deal him. Your premise of non-contending teams dealing off veterans is usually motivated by one of three things:
1. Dumping a large salary
2. Clearing a spot for a blocked player who projects to be a building block in a rebuild
3. Acquiring a player in return with value as a part of a future that comes together down the road.
In the case of Denorfia,
1. His Salary is not prohibitive and probably isn't a motivation for dealing him now.
2. The hot prospect who might be part of the future at Denorfia's position , Rymer Liriano, had Tommy John surgery in February and isn't blocked at the moment.
3. The return for Denorfia will be available later. If you want to get them to pull the trigger, you'd need to up the ante, because if you don't some other team may have an injury tomorrow and may. Want him? Put Corcino on the table. Of course, then you may be able to do better. If you're going to hold the line at lesser prospects (or suspects), you're going to have to wait until late July.