Originally Posted by dougdirt
The only way it doesn't work is if colleges keep being allowed to do what they are doing. The NFL or NBA will figure out a way to make a minor league system work if they want to stay in business if colleges lose their power.
Without UCLA, Ed O'Bannon may have never blown out his knee and been the guy he could have been on the court. We don't know.
The schools need the players a lot more than the players need the schools. The NFL and NBA will find the players with or without colleges.
Without UCLA who is Ed O'Bannon? Honest question, if he goes to another California state school, say UCSD, what does he become?
See I view it much differently than you do. If the NFL and NBA thought it was in their best financial sense to create a minor league system they would. I also think the student athletes need the schools much more. Where else could Braxton Miller go and play in front of 100,000 people every fall Saturday. OSU will still sell out the stadium with or without him.
What is Johnny Manziel without Texas A&M? He was a Texas school boy legend but until a performance against Alabama on national TV he was pretty much to people outside of Texas or the SEC. If he is playing for a minor league NFL team based in El Paso does anyone care? Does anyone notice if the El Paso Earthquakes beat the Spokane Thunders?
I agree with Boston Red, be careful not to slaughter that golden goose. There are 125 FBS schools with approximately 85 scholarships each bringing to the total of FBS players to 10,625. 254 players were drafted this past season in the NFL draft. So roughly 2.3% of collegiate football players are drafted which leaves 97.7% doing something other than playing football. 97.7% of college football players who get a full ride though college and the exposure playing on TV in front of the nation. You think the NFL wants to create a minor league system where only 2% make it to the NFL? You think the NFL wants to take that financial risk?