Re: Yellow Jacket underground nest advice
Originally Posted by Cyclone792
I just removed a paper wasp nest from inside the railing on my second floor porch. I did buy wasp spray, but I never used it since the only way to hit the nest was to literally spray straight up in the air and I wasn't interested in soaking myself in wasp spray. Eventually I just rigged together a long curtain rod to knock the nest down. I dressed in heavy, winter clothes, beanie hat, hoodie w/hood up, gloves, etc. and just went after it around sunset. It did the trick and I didn't get stung.
Anyway, when researching how to remove wasp nests I read some interesting advice about using dish detergent. Apparently if you mix in dish detergent with a hose sprayer it can be quite effective at killing and slowing down wasps. If you've got a hose with some nice water pressure, you might be able to drown the nest out by mixing in dish detergent, firing the mixture in the hole and flooding the nest out. If you're worried about the environment, that might be safer than gasoline.
Might try Googling dish detergent and seeing if it might work. If you try it out, load up on clothing and give it a shot around sunset on a cooler night.
I did some research on that and it seems that method isn't as effect on underground nests because you aren't guaranteed to hit all the chambers and the soap needs to actually come in contact with the wasps. So far it seems the consensus on the net is to pour gasoline down the hole and cover it with a bucket to trap in the fumes because its the gas fumes that kill the bees. Definitely don't want to light the gas because trapped pockets of gas could explode, sending live bees, soil and rocks everywhere. Plus I don't want a crater in my yard.
Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.