I have a few questions regarding the article about Chris Gruler. It says in the article posted by RF62 that the Reds are going to pay $160,000 for his education at Arizona State:
Early in the article, it says he accepted a "free ride" at Arizona.
"By the end of his junior year, the 6-foot-3, 210-pound right-hander had received more than 3,000 letters from colleges and had 40 Division I offers. He eventually accepted a full-ride offer from Arizona State."
"Gruler said the Reds also will pay for his education at Arizona State, worth another $160,000. He plans to start school in two years or so."
1) If he has a "free ride", why are the Reds going to pay for his college education at Arizona?
2) And, if he's going to college, why is he waiting for another "two years or so" to do so?
3) Does that mean he's going to play in the Reds minor league system, take a few years off, and then come back to the minor league system?
- If yes, it'll take him forever to make the majors, won't it?
- If no, than I don't get it.
<small>[ 06-05-2002, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: TeamBoone ]</small>