Re: AP is reporting that Larkin is not coming back...
Larkin Won't Be Coming Back to Reds
CINCINNATI - Barry Larkin will not be offered another contract by the Cincinnati Reds, ending his 19-year career with his hometown team, he told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
The shortstop said he was informed of the team's decision in a phone call earlier in the day.
"Nothing really surprises me anymore," Larkin said from his home in Orlando, Fla.
Larkin, 40, grew up in Cincinnati and spent his entire career with the Reds, developing into one of the most prominent players in their history. He helped the team win a World Series in 1990 and won the NL's Most Valuable Player award in 1995, the last time the Reds made the playoffs.
Injuries had limited him in recent years, and he decided to make the 2004 season his last. But a good season - he hit .289 and made the All-Star team - prompted him to reconsider and ask for one more season.
The Reds had no immediate comment.
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."