Decided to read books recommended by my family:
- Read Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women" as recommended by my middle daughter. On our Boston/Cape Cod trip, we went to Concord and went to Orchard House (Orchard House web site
). Thought it would be cool to read the book after seeing the desk where she wrote it. It was, since it is a semi-autobiographical novel and could relate a lot back to what we saw and heard. My youngest daughter is reading it now.
- Read "Owl in the Office" by Ben Baglio as recommended by my youngest daughter. It's part of the alliterative Animal Ark series (Piglet in the Playpen, Lamb in the Laundry, Puppies in the Pantry, etc.). I really liked it. Gently lays out ethical dilemmas and how kids deal with them. Well-told tale for young readers.
- Read "Under the Tuscan Sun" by Francis Maye on recommendation from my wife. Wow, what I'd give to go live that life for a while. My wife and I are setting up a fund for us to go to Tuscany (after sending our 3 kids to college
) Great book. Have the 2 sequels on the reading stack.
- Read "The House on Mango Street" by Sandra Cisneros. It was my son's required summer reading and thought I'd read it with him. It is a series of short stories about a Hispanic girl growing up in Chicago. I liked it. My son said "it was a good book but I hated it".
- Read "Lucky Man" by Michael J Fox - was our book club July book - This turned out better than I thought. Fox has a keen eye for his celebrity and was bluntly honest than I thought he'd be.
Just ordered Clancy's "Red Rabbit" off Amazon. Looking forward to it.