Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
"He was right about trying to appeal to the guy with the confederate flag sticker on his pickup."
I agree with a handful of your points, but I wholeheartedly disagree with this. The Democratic party needs to find a way to push these people to the margins in the way that the small government moderate conservative (I agree with this point particularly--and I have sympathy for their position) has recently been pushed to the margins. There needs to be an ense rescindendum on these people; they're a cancer that needs to be cut out, not courted. The Dems need to sell anger better; they need to control the social dialogue.
Honestly, the Repubs don't have "big ideas." They simply recycle the old "fear and hate" mantras they've been spouting since Nixon. Don't get me wrong, these things work, but they're clearly not "big ideas."
* Yea like gun control will really keep down crime. (Everyone in my area has multiple guns and we have very little problems with crime. That doesn't make any sense... More guns...less crime... How can this be?)
* Socialized medicine is free and better than what we have.
* War is almost always the wrong thing to do even if long-term staying still can damage the entire country. In fact the military is the best way to balance the budget. Keep cutting it until you balance the budget... (Clinton did this)
* More taxes are good. Never mind that Kerry's wife wouldn't release her records because many people believe that she was taking advantage of numerous loopholes that wouldn't be closed by any of the Kerry proposals. Somehow taxing the semi-successful people more who often own small companies and create jobs is better than letting them be rewarded for their risk and hard work.
* Judges who make no law and are only supposed to interpet the laws on the books should be appointed that will instead legislate from the bench and create laws that don't exist.
Big ideas? Yea I agree these are big ideas but this country doesn't want them and frankly if people really want this then maybe they should look at moving to France. They don't work there and I along with many many other Americans don't think that they will work here....