Re: LPtP business discussion thread
After looking at the resource logs with WOY I have the following thoughts/observations.
1. RZ is consuming roughly 10% more resources per day than the previous highest month which was June 2004.
2. 6.08% of the resource usage come from the IP Address 188.8.131.52 which is coming from Japan. A google search indicated that this IP address shows up in the usage logs of hundreds of other web sites. I believe it it a BOT. This IP address should be banned.
3. In June 2004 there were 16,379 error code 404's which indicate the server is too busy or could not be found. This month there have been 206,965 404's already. This to me indicates that the server load is reaching it's limit. As RZ shares server with many other sites, it is possible that the incremental growth of other sites on server coupled with the growth in usage by RZ is causing server overload. When we reached our high point last June it is possible that it was not as noticiable due to underutilization by other sites hosted on same server.
4. The user logs do not provide information about usage of specific forums or threads so it is not possible to to see from the usage logs what areas within RZ are using the most bandwidth. I think it is safe to say the "last thread" does use a bit of bandwidth as the there have been 70,000 + posts made in 1-12. As the issue is bandwidth I suggest that the "last thread" community try to police itself and do its' best not overtax Redszone, lest we be asked to stop completely.
5. The average KB per site Hit last June was 2.908. This April it has been 3.73. I don't know if that has to do more with the widespread usage of Avatars or with posting attached pictures, but it is significant. I think that usage of Avatars and attached pictures should be suspended.
6. There is the possibility that the continued use of the attached image of Cbus' giant head may be a causing the site overload.
Last edited by pedro; 04-19-2005 at 05:54 PM.