Originally Posted by oneupper
This may be the first time I agree with Robertson.
Unfortunately he was the wrong messenger for this.
(how do i get the text to wrap?)
What do we have to fear from Chavez? That he makes sure his country benefits from its oil reserves? That he has instituted far reaching progams to help the poor? Yes, the man has a relationship with Castro, whom we have no reason to fear either. Chavez is a democratically elected President, and watch dog groups on elections have worse things to say about our 2000 presidential election than his election in 1999 and the recent referendum.
From cia factbook:
chief of state: President Hugo CHAVEZ Frias (since 3 February 1999); Vice President Jose Vicente RANGEL Vale (since 28 April 2002); note - the president is both the chief of state and head of government
head of government: President Hugo CHAVEZ Frias (since 3 February 1999); Vice President Jose Vicente RANGEL Vale (since 28 April 2002); note - the president is both the chief of state and head of government
cabinet: Council of Ministers appointed by the president
elections: president elected by popular vote for a six-year term; election last held 30 July 2000 (next to be held NA 2006)
election results: Hugo CHAVEZ Frias reelected president; percent of vote - 60%
note: a special presidential recall vote on 15 August 2004 resulted in a victory for CHAVEZ; percent of vote - 58% in favor of CHAVEZ fulfilling the remaining two years of his term, 42% in favor of terminating his presidency immediately
unicameral National Assembly or Asamblea Nacional (165 seats; members elected by popular vote to serve five-year terms; three seats reserved for the indigenous peoples of Venezuela)
elections: last held 30 July 2000 (next to be held July 2005)
election results: percent of vote by party - NA%; seats by party - pro-government 108 (MVR 92, MAS 6, indigenous 3, other 7), opposition 57 (AD 33, COPEI 6, Justice First 5, other 13)
His is a legitimate government, that does not put corporate interests and the interests of the wealthy above the interests of all Venezuelans, that is why he won by very large margains both times.
Here is what the cia factbook's overview of the country:
Introduction Venezuela Top of Page
Venezuela was one of three countries that emerged from the collapse of Gran Colombia in 1830 (the others being Colombia and Ecuador). For most of the first half of the 20th century, Venezuela was ruled by generally benevolent military strongmen, who promoted the oil industry and allowed for some social reforms. Democratically elected governments have held sway since 1959. Current concerns include: a polarized political environment, a politicized military, drug-related violence along the Colombian border, increasing internal drug consumption, overdependence on the petroleum industry with its price fluctuations, and irresponsible mining operations that are endangering the rain forest and indigenous peoples.
Replace Colombian with Mexican and take out the rain forest and indigenous peoples and the current concerns sound alot like America's current concerns.
This attitude once agin proves that many are only interested in Democracy if that means our corporate interests are shared.