Thread: Hal McCoy: "Dunn Played '05 with Broken Hand"

Hal McCoy: "Dunn Played '05 with Broken Hand"

Here's the link:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...svc=7&cxcat=29

Dunn played '05 with broken hand
    Reds slugger says injury still hurts
    By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

Adam Dunn hit 40 home runs last season. He drove in 101 runs, scored 107 runs and walked 114 times — all with a broken right hand.

It's his football mentality.

Reds manager Jerry Narron let it slip this week at a Dayton Agonis Club meeting when somebody criticized Dunn.

"He broke his hand twice last year and wouldn't let us X-ray it because he wanted to play," said Narron.

When Dunn was asked about it, he uttered a profanity and said, "He isn't supposed to be talking about that. It was not that big of a deal."

Asked how long the hand hurt, Dunn said, "What time is it now?"

So, it still hurts.

"Yeah, I had it checked this week and the doctor said I should put a splint on it, but the heck with that," said the man who takes over first base for the Cincinnati Reds this year.

Dunn, a former scholarship quarterback at the University of Texas before he was the Reds' No. 2 draft choice in 1998, believes a little ol' hairline fracture shouldn't stop a 6-foot-6, 275-pound Texan.

And it didn't.

"In May in Houston, I was diving back into third base on a pickoff play and Morgan Ensberg stepped on the hand," he said.

Dunn played on.

"Later in the year, some home game and I don't remember who, I was hit on the hand, same exact spot," he said. "I remember how I used to make fun of Aaron Boone for getting hit on the hands all the time and asking him, 'How does that happen? How can you get hit on the hand? Can't you get out of the way?' Now I know."

Dunn was preparing Thursday morning to attend a dinner in Houston, where he was to receive the Major League Player of the Year award from the Houston baseball writers. It was suggested they were buttering him up for when he becomes a free agent after the 2007 season, so he'll sign with his hometown Astros.

"Don't know about that," he said. "I do know I thought it was a small gathering, but they told me today there would be 1,700 people there. If I had known that I would have said no."

Dunn, 26 and the owner of 158 homers in his four seasons with the Reds, is an arbitration case, asking for $8.95 million for this season. The Reds are offering $7.1 million.

Asked if the Reds had talked to him about signing a multi-year contract, he said, "That is a big no. Not a word. I've heard rumors, but nothing official."

Now that the team is under new ownership and a new general manager is coming aboard, Dunn hopes that changes.

"I've heard great stuff about the new owner (Bob Castellini)," he said. "He showed this team a lot by stepping right in and firing Dan O'Brien. I love that he wasn't afraid to do something. I hear he is a guy who will hang around the clubhouse and I love that.

"Too many owners you feel like they're the Pope and that you have to take off your shoes in their presence. But I heard Castellini is a regular dude and I look forward to meeting him," he added.

And his checkbook?

Dunn is looking even more forward to the first day he arrives in spring training camp, and his teammates have been forewarned. He remains a huge University of Texas fan and was at the Rose Bowl for the Longhorns' national championship victory over Southern California.

"I took a lot of heat and grief from teammates about Texas last fall," he said. "I'm going to have some fun when I get there and they're going to hear it from me non-stop."

There might be orange-and-white crepe paper decorating the clubhouse and he said a lot of his teammates might be forced to wear orange T-shirts under their uniform tops.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hal McCoy: "Dunn Played '05 with Broken Hand"

I LOVE DUNN.. Gosh lets make him a career red. Throw back ball player. I can't say enough good stuff about Adam

It seems stupid that he didn't get it checked out over the offseason. That's my only take. We will be paying him a large amount of money this year and to think he didn't say anything about it is IMO foolish. I understand playing through pain but it really doesn't matter on a team like the Reds were last year. Maybe play through it during the year but at least go get it fixed in the offseason, especially with his potential.

That's also interesting about him not even being offered a long term deal yet and his comments concerning O'Brien. Seems like he really lacked credibility and presence with the players as well.

Retired

The guy is a warrior, but ignoring the doctors recommendations in the off-season isn't too bright. Why go into next year in pain if you don’t have too?

10 feet tall and bulletproof...
    There and Back Again...

Unfortunately, it's injuries like this that tend to become those nagging injuries that plague a player over the course of several seasons. Dunn should have had it treated and taken the necessary time on the DL in order for it to heal properly.

If his hand is still hurting after all this time, the injury is more serious than Dunn wants to admit. He could be facing surgery.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Wow, guess that explains why he was talking so many pitches and being so overly patient... I couldnt imagine trying to hit anything with a bat or trying to catch the ball. He really does need to get it looked at though dont want career shortened because he tried to be cowboy tough guy and play through it for too long.

Adam Dunn is Cincinnati's version of Jeff Bagwell.

If he is not listening to the reds doctors, who elso won't he listen too?
    No excuse not to get it checked out over the off-season. It's not bruised ribs that we are talking about, it's his hand. What if he get's hit again in spring training?

I think Dunn is great, but being hard-headed could hurt him and the team.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Well, if it was really a danger to not heal I imagine the doctors would force him to wear a cast. I agree though that I'd rather he be more cautious.

It says alot about Dunn's character that we never heard a peep about this last year IMO. Same goes for Larue and his hand/wrist injuries. While I don't want hurt players out there when they can't contribute, I do appreciate the guys who do play hurt if they can still help the team. I bet JD Drew sure wouldn't be playing if he had a broken hand.

And pretty strong statement about DanO too. I'm glad the players are juiced about the new ownership and forthcoming new management, it sure doesn't hurt the Reds when it comes to negotiation. If Dunn really likes the city of Cincinnati as he has said he does, I'm guessing this changing of the guard is going to increase the Reds chances of signing him long term.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    Wow, guess that explains why he was talking so many pitches and being so overly patient... I couldnt imagine trying to hit anything with a bat or trying to catch the ball. He really does need to get it looked at though dont want career shortened because he tried to be cowboy tough guy and play through it for too long.
    Yeah. He does need to splint that thing up immediately just to be on the safe side. However, if Dunn was able to check his swing with a broken hand, I think that it probably wasn't all that serious a thing. Still, you have to be careful. Tiny bones.

As for taking pitches

Adam Dunn- Career MLB:

2001- 4.12 Pitches per PA
    2002- 4.28
    2003- 4.33
    2004- 4.24
    2005- 4.24
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Dunner... go get it fixed so we can see you go "off" this year.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Yikes! I can't imagine what he might have done without the hairline fracture. He's one tough dude, though I too think it's kind of strange that he hasn't had it checked out before now, especially if it's hurting.

And does anyone else find it odd that that the Houston baseball writers are awarding Adam their Player of the Year award? I think who ever said they're buttering him up is correct.

Lastly, I find this statement to be telling:

Asked if the Reds had talked to him about signing a multi-year contract, he said, "That is a big no. Not a word. I've heard rumors, but nothing official."
    Didn't someone say in another thread that they asked Kullman point-blank about Adam and a long-term contract and he said that wasn't going well? I may be mistaken. I tried to find it but it's late, I'm tired, and I gave up.

It made me tip my head and go "what the....". Sounds like someone isn't telling the truth here... and personally, I believe Adam.

Oh, and then there's that other guy who no longer works for the Reds that said working on a LT contract with Adam was a priority...
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 01-28-2006 at 01:59 AM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I really wish Hal hadn't let this out of the bag. IF we do decide to trade Dunn, how much would this lower his trade value? I think it's pretty obvious he's the one that needs to be traded. He's got the most value and he's a lot less likely than Kearns to sign a long term contract here. I just really hope his value doesn't nosedive when teams realize he's damaged goods.

I wouldn't get upset over Dunn LTC stuff. Everybody was waiting for Cast(especially DanO ) so that type of decision wasn't going to made.

Now that the Reds will have a new regime, anything could happen. Sounds like if Kullman had a choice, Dunn and Lopez would be LTC'd with Casts approval. But it is also possible the Reds trade him in a bidding war. I guess the timetable when the Reds can logically win again is key. Cast doesn't sound like a patient man.

Turn Off Ads?